Friday, March 6, 2009

Grandad

A quick note: I spell Grandad with one "d" in the middle. I've always been a marginal speller and this is how I've always done it! Sorry to you two-"d" spellers out there.

George F. Robie, my last living grandparent, past away last Wednesday at 92. He will surely be missed by everyone in his family and anyone he met along the way. Grandad is without a doubt, one of the best Christian men I have ever been privileged to know. He had a faith that has made its mark on my entire family.

He was a paratrooper in World War II, and made 13 jumps in his career, one into enemy territory right before D-Day. He met my grandmother on a blind date while in the service and he worked for Phillips Petroleum for his entire career. He was an engineer with pack-rat tendencies and impeccable organizational skills. He was a great card player, musician and wonderful grandfather.

Because he is the one grandparent that I knew as an adult, I have many memories of him, and honestly, not one bad one in the bunch. I thought I could write a few down-- some that I share with my seven cousins and brother and sister and some that are probably unique for me and Grandad.

1. I remember Grandad reading me a Raggedy Ann and Andy book where they took a boat through a spooky place. Maybe I'm combining two books because I can't find this particular one, but I remember that Grandad's reading "voice" was very deep and that he and my mom read stories in the same way.

2. I remember sending him "pen-pal" letters when we moved away to Houston. He would correct my letters with a red pen and send them back to me with his reply. We traded letters for many years, and I can remember his distinct, very neat handwriting that accompanied each one.

3. Around the dinner table in his green kitchen, I remember him telling us in his "Julia Child" voice how he had prepared dinner that evening. (Although my grandmother always prepared the dinner.)

4. I can see him peeling an orange with his pocket knife right now. He taught me how to do this over a game of checkers.

5. Endless games of Gin-Rummy. Much like Gina, I remember specifically one night, sitting on the baseball ottoman facing him, perched in his orange tower-of-a-chair, and I didn't win a single hand. No mercy-- but I got better. Then, I remember him falling asleep during some of our games at the nursing home, and him still beating me.

6. Playing the piano. He taught me (and probably a few others) to play chop-sticks and had a special accompaniment that he played so that we could entertain our parents with a duet. Also, he would let us bang out a few high-notes to punctuate the end of his songs.

7. Coming to my high school and college graduation-- and my wedding. The only grandparent I had at any of those events.

8. Singing "Boomer Sooner" with him and talking to him about life at OU-- He is my only relative to attend OU and graduated in 1939. We talked a lot about his time as a Delt and his time in the University singing group. Because I was a Theta, he told me that he only really had one Theta friend, named Rose-- who wasn't very attractive, but he thought she liked him quite a bit.

9. Gal-Dern.

10. I know this isn't a Grandad memory specifically, but it's a tribute to him. I had the opportunity to be with him the last few days of his life in the nursing home here in Little Rock. During that time, he had a number of nurses and aids come visit him in his room--(everyone up there always told me how much they liked him.) As I was leaving him one evening, one of his nurses, Charlotte, who is normally very friendly, kept her back to me. I told her goodbye as I got on the elevator and she turned around and had been crying. She said that this was going to be hard for her, too and that she would miss him.

I will miss him for a while until I can see him again.

Love you Grandad. A special Tiger Lily just for you!

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet tribute to your Grandad Leanne. What a wonderful blessing to spend as much time with him as you did. Prayers for you and your family, especially your momma.

    On another note... I am going to meet up with Stephanie Mcnaughton next week.She and Madeline are going to come over...such a small world. We have never met but she sounds super sweet. If you and Matt make your way down to Florida in the near future,before they move, we could all get together! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always spelled it with one D too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Leanne. Found your site through Jay and Lindsay's. What a lovely tribute to your Grandad. It touched Mark and me both. He was a stellar grandparent, and those of us in that role can learn from him. GK Merrill

    ReplyDelete