Saturday, January 16, 2010

Expectations and I are Facing Off.


This Tiger Lily is dedicated to Jennifer Anniston. (I'm sure she faced off with her Expectations years ago...)

Tonight I attended one of my good friend's weddings and caught myself really concentrating on what the preacher had to say. He gave a homily of sorts, but on the shorter side, (which we all can appreciate) and then ended the service with a simple prayer. He prayed that the couple would experience "peace" in their marriage.

Well, HELLO! Did the preacher say that at my wedding and I just wasn't paying attention? Tonight, it finally hit me. I've been expecting perfection all my life, and I'm not just talking about my marriage-- which is actually pretty great, thanks to my husband-- But instead, I should have been asking God for "peace" instead of expecting Him to deliver "perfection."

So what are these things, "EXPECTATIONS"? And why have mine been so out of control? I guess I stubbornly expect everything to be perfect, to be on my timeline and to work out beautifully. But tonight, I began to realize that I should be praying for more "peace" as life usually delivers the unexpected.

For instance, in 2009:

1. Michael Jackson passed away. Totally unexpected. And, further on this note, I loved This Is It. Also totally unexpected. (If you haven't seen it, you should. "God bless you.")

2. Taylor Swift won The Country Music Association's Entertainer of the Year Award. Have you heard her sing live? Totally unexpected.


She named her album, "Fearless." Because you would have to be to go to her concert.

3. Oprah announced she will retire. Wait, she's not God? She won't live forever? Again, unexpected.


Here she is praying. I guess that should have tipped me off that she wasn't deity incarnate.

4. The public is now loving Kate and hating Jon. Well you could knock me over with a feather.

5. The Octo-Mom did not sign on for a reality television show. Unexpected.




6. Obama wins the Nobel Peace Prize. (Settle down everybody, I'm just saying it was unexpected!)


Here he is after that great bank bail-out decision.

So Tiger Lily to Expectations. They almost never turn out the way you planned.

And kudos to Jennifer Anniston. From what I can see, she must have kicked Expectations to the curb and started asking for peace a long time ago.

2 comments:

  1. I love this blog, Leanne. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leanne, instead of asking for peace, pray to be joyful for the Lord and to use each day to glorify Him. Just see what happens. it's amazing, when we turn the focus to him and away from ourselves, joy will overwhelm you. love you dearly, Janet Mauk

    ReplyDelete