Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My Inner Beyoncé



For the last few months I've been working on a "total life overhaul." It has been one of the happiest times of my life where I've just taken some time to really figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

Currently, I'm finishing my Master's degree in professional and technical writing. All I have left is a three hour class on linguistics and my Mater's thesis: "How to market yourself online as a freelance writer." Writing my thesis entails logging some serious research time at the library, learning the useful bits about Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and WordPress and a lot of writing time at my kitchen table.

I've also had the opportunity to do some freelance work on a tourism guide to Rwanda and I just started a serious book club called 10 x 12 with my good friend, MM. And for the cherry on top, I'm attending the "Woman on a Mission" bible study every Wednesday morning for the next ten weeks. God and I are working out my purpose in life-- and let me tell you I am excited about it.

I've never loved my life more.

In the months to come, I will be launching my freelance writing business, appropriately named, The Tiger Lilies. Much like this blog that points out contradictions, my freelance writing business will focus on my contradiction as a writer and a person-- both technical and creative, "Type-A" and Diva all wrapped into one.

But as my "Type-A," technical writing personality checks off items on my to-do list, I've noticed that my inner Beyoncé is beginning to growl. She began getting antsy when American Idol started, and as we get closer to the top 24, she's feeling the need to perform. I mean, Ellen will be there!

I've always said that the first thing I'd like to do when I get to heaven is to be shown to the dinner table. And after about a decade there with dozens of Community Bakery's iced sugar cookies and Way out Willie's fajitas, St. Peter will be showing me to the stage.

Tiger Lily to my inner Beyoncé, she is being so patient.

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmm Way Out Willies fajitas!!!! Is that place still open...if so, WHY didn't we go there??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leanne, we have a saying here in China: 加油!(pronounced jee-ah yo) It literally means "add oil", but colloquially means something like "Go for it!"

    I am also very interested in reading your Master's thesis when it's completed. I'm still a nerd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Leanne - I didn't realize you were getting a master's in prof/tech writing. My whole career has been tech writing, and I'm now a manager of a team of tech writers for a software company, so if you have any questions about jobs, etc., let me know!

    ReplyDelete